The early records related to religious services in this area date back to 1771 when a Presbyterian minister, Rev. Joseph Rhea laid the foundation for the Old Concord Church.
The original building was just a log shed. Over the years, there would be five different structures which would house various version of this congregation.
Rev. Charles Cummings served as the first stationed Presbyterian pastor beginning in 1778
Then around 1783, a Methodist Circuit rider, Rev. Jeremiah Lambert, began holding services every few months at Old Concord as well.
Around 1823, Frederick Weaver deeded three acres of ground to the trustees: Ireson Longacre, Joe L. May, Caleb Morrell, John Miller, and George Hughes for building a church and the name was changed to Weaver Union Church.
The deed stated “the church was to be used by all denominations of the Christian diet.”
Record shows that the first regular Methodist minister, Pastor John C. Cook, began his appointment here in 1900.
For several years, a Lutheran congregation and a Christian Church congregation held services here with all four congregations, Presbyterian, Methodist, Lutheran, and Christian Church, meeting once a month.
in the 1930s, January 12, 1930 to be exact, a mass meeting was held under the leadership of Rev. Dan H. Graham, resulting in the building of the current structure dedicated in 1933. It was described to be “the most handsome new church in this section.”
1940s or Early 1950s
The Lutheran and Christian Church congregations disbanded some time in the late 1940s or early 1950s, leaving only the Presbyterian and Methodist congregations. Each held services two Sundays per month, mornings and evenings.
One thing has remained true and held fast over these 240+ years, we are a congregation which is committed to God, praising God, and serving God in all ways that we can, for all people we can, for as long as we can.